Garri is one of those indispensable food consumed in most of West Africa like Ghana and Nigerians and highly consumed in Cameroon. Garri can be a creamy white or yellow granular flour that comes from Cassava tubers. Garri comes in various consistencies and can be eaten in several ways.
Many eat garri as a snack whereby they soak it in water and it’s being accompanied with milk, sugar, salt, groundnuts, coconuts, peanuts, and in some cases eaten with beans etc.
As food, garri can be cooked with hot water and mixed to a dough. It is then consumed with vegetables, soups etc.
It is believed that garri has saved more lives in Africa than doctors have. This is true as a result of it’s cheap nature, availability, and easy access.
Garri has some health benefits which i’m going to share with you all now. But before doing so, it’s important you know the nutritional value of garri;
- Calories 340
- Potassium 0mg
- Sodium 417mg
- Fat 2g
- Carbs 80g
- Saturated 2g
- Polyunsaturated 0g
- Monounsaturated 0g
- Dietary Fibre 12g
- Sugar 0g
- Protein 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Vitamin A 0%
- Vitamin C 0 %
- Calcium 0%
Health benefits of Garri
- With it’s nutrients listed above, Garri is a very rich source of energy as a result of the Carbohydrate present.
- Garri helps in the promotion of bowel cleansing and prevention of stomach ulcer since it’s a good source of fiber.
However, though garri can support u by giving energy, it has its side effects which makes excessive garri consumption dangerous.
De-merits of Garri
- According to research, Garri is made from cassava which contains hydrocyanic acid known as cyanide, which in a large amount can lead to serious eyes problems.
- It can equally lead to intestinal issues and in most cases worsening of ulcers. This can however be stopped if garri processing reduce the concentration of acid.
- If you were thinking of losing some weight and cutting down calorie intake, garri consumption has to be minimized. This is true in that, Cassava which is used to make garri is rich in Carbohydrates and Carbohydrates is known for adding weight. A cup of garri in the market contains about 360 calories with carbohydrate being the highest at about 90%. This makes garri consumption a threat to your weight loss goals.
- Garri is equally not good for diabetes patients.
There you have it, garri is good for our health and at the same poses as a threat when excessively consumed. I do consume garri in many ways and it’s good but too much of a thing is dangerous.
What do you think of Garii? Let’s know your views in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to Like, Subscribe and spread the love by Sharing!!!!!!!!!!!